In the last few days, there have been an incredible number of donations to the JustGiving page set up by Claire Squires, the runner and fundraiser who tragically died during Sunday’s London marathon.
The amount that has been raised for the charity Claire was supporting, the Samaritans, currently stands at over £735,000 with a further £158,000 reclaimed in Gift Aid. It’s a truly extraordinary response, which shows how quickly generosity spreads.
Many of you have asked us about the amount of people who have visited and donated to Claire’s page.
Here are a few figures:
- A record number of people have visited JustGiving.com. On Monday, 622,000 people visited the site. At the busiest time, there were 13,000 people on JustGiving at once.
- At the busiest time, £29,000 an hour was being donated to Claire’s page.
- There have been donations to Claire’s page from more than 60 countries, including Brazil, Saudi Arabia and the Philippines.
- The average donation given to Claire’s page is around £11, with the most typical donation being £10. There have also been some very large donations, including many for £500 and £1,000. The largest donors include The Sun newspaper, which donated £5,000.
- More than 64,000 people have donated to Claire’s fundraising page.
If you’d like to donate to Claire’s page, you can do so here: justgiving.com/Claire-Squires2. If you’d like to donate by text to Claire’s page, you can do so by texting TRHN55 £5 to 70070.